Last Updated: 2020-NOV-21 (See Green Text for latest updates)
As a club we have been asked to ensure that our coaches, skaters, parents, members and volunteers receive education on new safety and hygiene protocols within the club. We are asking that you review the following resources:
COVID-19 Pre-Practice Screening Questionaire
All members, coaches and volunteers need complete self-screen questionnaire before arrival at each and every training session.
Please click this link: Health Screening Questionnaire
COVID-19 Public Resources
Source: Public Health Ontario
For Halton specific information see:
Or call 3.1.1
Summary of the Milton Speed Skating Club COVID-19 protocols for skaters
- All participants, coaches, and parents/guardians are required to wear face masks/coverings prior to entering the facility and continue wearing it at all times while in the building.
- Physical distancing must be maintained at all times while in the facility and on the ice when not training .
- To comply with facility capacity regulations, male and female washrooms have been designated in each rink. All users including parents/guardians must use the washrooms in their assigned rinks. Arena users are not permitted to use the washrooms in the lobby. Our assigned washrooms is on 2nd floor viewing area of Rink D.
- Clubs and members should follow all public health guidelines regarding COVID-19. These may include:
- Any club members who themselves have travelled outside of Canada, or have someone in their household who has travelled outside Canada must self-isolate and not participate in club/skating activities for 14 days
- Any individual who has been exposed to someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 should self-isolate and is not permitted to participate in club/skating activities for 14 days
- Any individual with symptoms of COVID-19 is not permitted to take part in club or skating activities
- Any individual who has someone in their household showing symptoms of COVID-19, should not participate in club/skating activities for 14 days
- Any individual who has been directed by Public Health to self-isolate must not participate in club activities
- New skaters from areas of high transmission will not be permitted to train with MSSC after the season has started and cohorts have been established
- Members should avoid travelling between areas of high transmission and areas of low transmission
- It is recommended that current skaters from areas of high transmission or in regions under lockdown conditions avoid participating in MSSC club activities
- Enter the Milton Sports Centre through the south entrance only (across from the customer service desk) and proceed to your designated rink via the lobby.
- Admission to the facility will commence ten (10) minutes prior to the start of the rental time. This is to avoid overlap of participants entering and exiting the arena area at the same time. Participants arriving earlier than ten (10) minutes prior to the start of their rental time will be asked to wait outside of the building.
- Participants, coaches, and parents/guardians are to follow posted self-screening guidelines before entering any Town of Milton facility.
- Are you experiencing any symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing?
- Have you traveled outside Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you or someone you have been in close contact with tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days?
- Have you been in close contact with someone who is being tested or has exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 within the last 14 days?
- If you answer YES to any of the above questions, please do not enter the facility.
- Participants must “Come Prepared” by dressing in their required equipment (except skates, helmets) prior to entering the facility. Hockey bags are not permitted. Only a bag the size of a backpack to carry skates and helmet is allowed with each participant
- For each session, there are two dressing zones designated for changing into/out of skates. Participants are advised on the video boards, located above the customer service desk, which zone their group can use. Please do not move the chairs within a zone to help maintain physical distancing.
- Masks must be worn at all times
- Patrons will exit the facility the same way they entered via the lobby and south entrance.
- During rentals, only one (1) parent/guardian of each skater under eighteen (18) years of age is permitted in the facility as an observer. Parents/guardians are to maintain physical distancing, wear a mask and must watch from within each rink. Watching from the lobby is not permitted. Spectators must enter and exit the facility in the same manner as skaters. Our designated viewing area for parents is the second-floor bleacher/seating area of Rink D
- All participants to leave ice/facility immediately after training
MSSC Rules for Practices
- All participants, coaches and volunteers must complete the self-screen questionnaire before arrival at each training session.
- All participants, coaches, parents/guardians and volunteers are asked to wash/sanitizer their hands when entering and leaving the facility.
- Per OSSA regulations all skaters and coaches must carry disinfectant wipes, and hand sanitizer in their equipment bags.
- Per OSSA regulations all skaters and coaches must carry closed container or sealed bag for safe disposal of hygienic materials.
- Bring everything that you need; no sharing of personal items is permitted. If you forgot something the club will have sanitized loaner gear available.
- Individuals are responsible for the care and disinfection of their own equipment.
- Bring enough water for training session.
- Three (3) Parents/Guardians will be required to sign-up for mat duty for each hour. This will be to put on the mats at the beginning of practice and then remove and disinfect the mats after practice.
- One (1) Parent/Guardian will be required to sign-up for screening duty – ensuring all skaters present have completed the online health questionnaire.
- During practice skaters will be assigned a designated waiting spot where their personal equipment (such as a water bottle) can be placed.
As per the government guidlines individuals and families in higher transmission areas should avoid travel to lower transmission areas (for example, from red to orange, from yellow to green), except for essential reasons.
IF YOU BECOME ILL
- If skater becomes unwell during practice with symptoms of COVID-19, or if someone is aware of an individual that becomes unwell with symptoms of COVID-19, that individual must immediately stop participation in club activities
- The unwell individual will be isolated from all others and brought to a well-ventilated area (Olympia room), or outside and provided with a non-medical face mask.
- The individual will be sent home and asked to contact their doctor (or Telehealth) for further guidance.
- Parents/guardians of all skaters within the practice group will be notified. As well as the facility and OSSA.
- If COVID-19 testing is recommended the individual cannot participate in any club activities until they get the results of the test.
- Any club members who were in close contact with the individual should not participate in club activities for 14 days and should follow public health guidelines regarding self-isolation and testing
- If it is determined that the skater does not need COVID-19 testing, then the individual may only return to club activities once they no longer have any symptoms of COVID-19
- If the COVID-19 test returns positive:
- The individual must follow all public health guidelines regarding return to activities
- The individual will need a note from their physician or public health authority to return to Sport
For skaters who do not have their own sharpening equipment, the club will have sharpening equipment and/or service available during ice practice hours
- Skaters needing their skates sharpened must advise the club before arriving at the facility to ensure proper arrangements can be made
- Skate sharpening will be done in the MSSC storage room with only one person at a time
- The person using the sharpening equipment must wash/sanitize their hands first and wear a mask and gloves at all times while in the storage room
- The individual must go directly to the storage room (before or after skating) and leave immediately when sharpening is completed.
- Sharpening equipment will be sanitized after use; skates will be sanitized before returning to skater